LAVTA Shared Autonomous Vehicle (SAV) Demonstration Project
The Livermore Amador Valley Transit Authority (LAVTA), operators of Wheels and Rapid bus services, is exploring an innovative shared autonomous vehicle (SAV) demonstration project within the City of Dublin in collaboration with the City of Dublin, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District, BART, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Transdev, and EasyMile.
In June 2020, LAVTA began on-street testing of the vehicle in an area near the East Pleasanton/Dublin BART Station. Click here to see a short video of the vehicle in testing mode near the Dublin/Pleasanton BART Station.
LAVTA’s goals for the shared autonomous vehicle demonstration project include:
- Provide convenient connections between LAVTA buses and BART
- Improve trip reliability and safety
- Reduce congestion and carbon emissions
- The SAV can carry up to 6 passengers
- Testing speed up to 15 miles per hour
- An attendant is on board at all times
Pictured below, LAVTA’s Shared Autonomous Vehicle